The friends I have today aren't the same friends I had when I was 5, or 10, or 15, or even 20. Some have stayed the same, but many of the friendships I've had at some point during my 26 years are either really different or just not there at all. I think this is the case with most people: your group of friends changes as you're growing up. Sometimes there's a big falling out and sometimes you just kind of drift apart and there isn't really any specific reason, but no matter what the cause, I think these things are what happen when a friendship ends [in 2015].
1. Your text messages get shorter, more formal, and less frequent.
2. You both regularly respond to a text from the other person with, "K." with a period at the end, which make it so much worse.
3. You don't comment on each other's Instagram posts anymore.
4. You don't even like their Instagram posts anymore.
5. You delete the person on Instagram...
6...but still check their page weekly to see what they've been up to.
7. And you get annoyed if their Instagram is private.
8. You used to be such close friends that you have many, many inside jokes, and even though you aren't spending time together anymore you still find yourself giggling about your inside jokes when you're with other friends, which naturally makes your other friends think you might be a little crazy.
9. You post something funny/exciting on Instagram and secretly hope she sees the post and is either sad that you didn't text it to her privately or jealous of how awesome your life is.
10. You find out about all of her life updates from Instagram/Facebook, but know none of the intimate details.
11. You see something that reminds you of your old friend but resist the urge to send a text about it because it would just be weird.
12. You spend more time than you want to admit reminiscing about the days when you were friends. Sometimes you're sad, sometimes you smile at the memories, and sometimes you're mad. But in some way, shape, or form, you'll always miss the friendship.