Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Wanna see me juggle?

     Sunday evening Cristen and I went to Starbucks so she could study and I could blog and we could use their wifi and drink stuff out of red cups. It was pretty slow and the barista was pretty bored and he started entertaining us for no reason other than that he was (probably is) just a friendly person.
 

(Thanks Faith for helping me upload this video.)

     I don't know what it is, but watching people fail hard at juggling cracks me up. I think it's in their facial expressions. I mean, this gif made me cry from laughing three different times.
 

 
     That guy didn't have to entertain us. He could have just stood behind the counter and texted his girlfriend and complained about how bored he was sitting in the Starbucks when it was so slow. He could have ignored us and looked at Buzzfeed or Facebook on his phone. He could have just kept to himself, and we wouldn't have thought anything of it. That probably would have seemed more normal, actually. At least, it would have to me.
 
     I have a feeling that guy is just a friendly guy in general, and it's normal for him to do things to entertain people. Or maybe not, I mean, he could have just had like, 8 shots of espresso and been on a serious caffeine high. But probably not, I mean, his pupils weren't dilated or anything. Anyway, my point is that it made me think about how deep down, I'm really an introvert. If I had been in his position, I would have been on my phone texting my friends complaining about how I was at work instead of at home watching Sons of Anarchy without wearing a bra. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the more I think about it the more it makes me think about how nice it was to be around a total stranger who was so friendly, and how I'm not really like that. Every once in a while I'll smile at the checker in the grocery store or nod to a random stranger on the street, but usually I'm wearing my sunglasses or pretending like my phone contains the most important information in the world that keeps me from making eye contact with anybody. But the truth is, a smile from a stranger or a "How are you?" to the checker can make all the difference, and it's not that hard.

     This is making me think too much. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go think about how much of an introvert I am.

     And maybe I'll try to juggle (or at least smile).
 photo ScreenShot2013-06-23at112320PM_zps46bb1b5d.png

14 comments:

  1. I think making friends with people you don't know is so hard! Like how do you make friends as an adult... it was so easy in college when you had classes with people and then you saw them out and you were like "AAAhhh omg I know you from class" and then you're bffs. So if you figure it out let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think making friends with people you don't know is so hard! Like how do you make friends as an adult... it was so easy in college when you had classes with people and then you saw them out and you were like "AAAhhh omg I know you from class" and then you're bffs. So if you figure it out let me know. CAN YOU REPLY NOW???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you- the kindness of a stranger goes a long way. Whenever I work at Bath and Body I try to be obnoxiously friendly, especially during the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i cannot juggle to save my life. i think it has to do with my poor hand- eye coordination. And i don't think that necessarily means your an introvert. maybe that guy is just weird. in some situations I am and in some situations im super friendly. it just depends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I love when people do something that reminds you to be kind and friendly to those around you. The woman in my parking structure at work smiles and waves at me EVERY day. She doesn't have to, but she does, and it makes me smile every time.

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when people go out of their way to be friendly. I try to do the same, but deep down I'm also an introvert like you are. Which is weird because I used to think I was SOOOOO extroverted. Hell no. I would rather Netflix sans bra any day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love friendly people! Or having totally random conversation with strangers! (guess that means I qualify as an extrovert, right? haha)
    xox
    giedre

    ReplyDelete
  8. That video made my day! I am always running errands and it really brightens my whole day when a stranger is nice like that, even if you walk by someone at they smile at you. It's definitely taught me to be more open too, to smile at strangers or say good morning. But not juggle.. Someone would get hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think that's true because when you drink you talk to everyone.. I know this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Based on your blog I totally would have legged you as an extrovert but I guess everyone seems extroverted on their own blog? I am such an introvert and I hate it. Should I try to change it or is that going against my personality?! I ask myself all the time and I don't know what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I wish I could juggle
    2. I'm definitely an introvert (who'd have known?) I have to make a real effort to be friendly when meeting new people just so I don't come off as snobby.
    3. As a cashier, I really appreciate it when people make an attempt to be friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bahahah! Loved that gif! I am sending your blog link to my sis right now! Totally made my day!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never get juggling baristas! He is possibly my favorite starbucks employee now - most of them at "ours" are brooding hipsters with giant glasses and judging eyes.
    New follower - whit from Raspy Wit

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't juggle, but I'm a crazy extrovert. I LOVE to talk to new people. About anything. I also must seem like a very open person because people tell me their entire life story in these first meetings. Its cool though, because I'm NEVER bored :)

    ReplyDelete