Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Apartment hunting is the WORST.

Sometimes, when I get home from work and just want to hide in a corner for a little bit, I'm interrupted by the sound of my parents knocking on my door and asking me about my day or wanting to tell me something that happened. It's really nice that they like me and want to be involved in my life, sometimes I feel like Carrie when she gets home and Aidan says, "Where ya been, whatcha been up to, who ya been with, whattya know?"

I love my parents, but sometimes I just need my space. And by "sometimes" I mean "always."
That's why I've decided that it's time to really seriously truly find an apartment.
Unfortunately, not only is it ridiculously expensive to rent an apartment around here, but the cheap places are just that: cheap. I'm not even going to try and use my sales background to sugar coat it and call it "affordable," because it's just. plain. cheap.

I'm not a diva, really I'm not, but I don't want to live in any of these places:
WTH is this.




WHAT is up with that carpet?
Maybe I'm too picky but it looks like I'd get shot.



That's the "kitchen."

Disclaimer: I KNOW, IT COULD BE WORSE.
So, to make myself even more depressed about how I'll probably end up living next to the railroad tracks in a studio that has a toaster oven instead of a fridge, I did what everyone does when they want to feel awesome: I looked at Pinterest and succeeded in setting excessively high expectations for what my bach-pad will look like.
Pinterest, you are the devil, because NOW, I want to live in a place like THIS:
THAT BED!
I'm a sucker for an iron bed frame. I've always wanted one, preferably with a white eyelet duvet cover.
And that overstuffed extra large chair would be perfect to relax in with a glass of wine and my laptop and iPhone for Twitter a good book!!
Give me that Get naked bathtub right now (and add another glass of wine).
All of it. I want it ALL. Why don't all apartments have amazing light like that? And why can't all apartments be like $450/month???

And this.
It's so clean and and fresh and girly and I want it.


I like to pretend like I'm going to live like that one day.
But then I look at Craigslist and I'm reminded that Pinterest is not real life.
It's not real life...it's not real life...it's not real life...
But one day soon I'll live on my own and I'll at least have an overstuffed chair to chill in with my wine and everyone can come over and we'll watch Netflix and When Harry Met Sally and Bridesmaids.

And I'll also have LOTR salt/pepper shakers and a foot pedestal for the shower.





 photo ScreenShot2013-06-23at112320PM_zps46bb1b5d.png

16 comments:

  1. You literally took every word and every picture out of my head! i am pretty sure i have most of those items pinned already (and I'm following you now so I can repin the ones I on't have). haha
    Isn't Pinterest just so hard? Why can't my apartment look perfect? Oh...I'm poor and have a dog, that's why. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest makes me feel inadequate 90% of the time. But I love it so much I can't quit!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your hunt for an apartment. I'm nervous to begin my own hunt in the next 6 months or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny! It's so true! Apartment hunting sucks! And don't ever do what I did and just sign the damn lease before even looking. I don't know why I thought that the pictures online were probably "close enough"... Such a joke. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I couldn't do that! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. You read my mind girl. It may seem like you and I or anyone else who wouldnt want those are too good for it or not desperate enough. But you want to pay good money for a good place. Not pay good money for a piece of shit place. A place you want to call home for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I wouldn't want to live somewhere if I was nervous to go outside at night.

      Delete
  5. Gah I remember when I moved to the "city" and apartments on the "nice side" were soooo expensive. I lived in one for six months paying almost 1000 a month. Aaaaannd, now I'm living with my in-laws. And dying to go back, haha. I'm with you though, why can't they all be 450??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be nice if people would come up to us and say, "here's a 3 bedroom condo with everything paid for $500/month. And here's $5k for ikea and target. go nuts."

      Delete
  6. New follower to your blog and I feel the same way about my parents. Like oh my gah, I need to move out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower from blog hop.
    I have been out of my parents home for a long time, & i love every minute of it. haha. Even the times I had to eat ramen noodles! ha. Renting can be expensive. Before we found the home we are living in now we were staying in an old ragged out 70s apartment & paying 800/month! CRAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um if you ever find something for $450 HOLLA AT ME, and I will move to California and live with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have every right to be picky, especially if the choices are the ones on the first part of your post. You shouldn’t settle for less if the reason you want to move out of your parent’s house is to have a space for your very own, as it looks like you wouldn’t get that much privacy in those places either. Anyway, I hope you have been able to find your perfect place by now. David @ Leasing KC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! It’s really uncool seeing such uncompromising views! However, the good thing about apartment hunting is that in every house you visit, you begin to think about setting your own standards. It can be a little stressing physically, but at least you'll be able to identify what fits your taste the most. Anyway, having your own space is great isn’t it?

    Julio Oyola

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is the room in the first photo a basement? The second and third one look apocalyptic. I don’t think you should settle for any of those, unless it's a last resort. And even then, you'd probably have second thoughts. Anyway, you don’t have to live in places like you saw in Pinterest – a simple and livable home will do. It's up to you to make it as beautiful and lively as you want it to be. I hope you’ve found one that meets you needs means. Have a good day!

    Rick Greer @ Finlay Brewer

    ReplyDelete