Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Wedding, Words, and a Write-In

The parents I work for got married yesterday, and the wedding was beautiful.
This was the ceremony site.
{Portofino Hotel & Yacht Club, Redondo Beach.)
The ceremony was at 4 o'clock, and it was a bit 

This was the lobby of the hotel, where the bride and groom had their photos taken. 
It was stunning.

And below was the amazing room I got to stay in with the four girls.
It was a suite, and the littlest one and I slept in the king-sized bed (but she took up over half of it because she's an active sleeper ... I got woken up by kicks in the face more than a few times) and the three older girls slept in the adjoining living room on a sofa bed and a rollaway.
There was a beautiful view of the ocean (someday I'd love to stay in an oceanside hotel on the East Coast and wake up to the sunrise), and the bathroom was beautiful also.
AND THERE WAS A KEURIG.
And a mini bar (which I didn't use, but it was fun to look at.)

The couple had a wonderful coordinator who made the day go by easily and with little to no stress.
Makes me anxious for my own wedding ... someday in the not too distant future (hopefully ... I'm still too selfish to get married!).

NaNoWriMo is so much fun. I'm so glad I've decided to really do it this year!
I've reached a milestone ... (drumroll)

more than 30,000 words!!! 
I decided that since I still have so much to write (writing without thinking makes my mind go off on tangents ... lots of things have happened to my characters and I won't be able to resolve everything in only 50,000 words) my personal goal will be 70,000-75,000 by November 30.
We'll see what happens.

I reached my 30,000 word goal while at a NaNoWriMo Write-In at the Grand Californian Hotel in Anaheim (downtown Disney). I decided to go because I thought it would be fun, even though I'm not fond of Disneyland every since I stopped working there (hard feelings, I have many). When I got there all the seats in the middle of the lobby were taken and since I'm not extroverted, I took a chair to the side of the room and made myself comfortable with my laptop (Max) and my lemon drops. I had had a bit of writer's block Thursday and Friday so tonight I was bound and determined to make something happen! And things DID happen, and I was excited. At one point I teared up because of what my characters were doing ... that's good right??? And then I was typing, not even sure of what was happening, and I was living every word with my characters, and all of a sudden a man came up behind me and said,
"Antisocial?"
I jumped out of my skin, figuratively.
"Uh, yeah, what?"
"You're antisocial."
"Oh. Yeah. I'm in my groove. Hehe. [Insert really awkward laugh here.]"
Then, as he adjusted his fishing hat, he walked away, and I went back to my scene. 
It was strange.

I also decided that after NaNo is over I'm going to edit it. Right now in my idealistic mind I want to have the editing done by December of next year. One year is enough time for that much editing, right? I have no idea. I may drive myself crazy, or I may actually make that personal deadline. It feels good to have something to work toward, and then we'll see what happens after that.

Either way, by December 01 I'll be able to say that I've written a 50,000 novel. =)




1 comment:

  1. Hire wooden chair, event chair, chiavari chair, led bar, vintage chair, artificial tree, eames chair for Weddings, reception parties, Corporate Events, special occasions or Shows.

    ReplyDelete