Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving and WINNING

 First and foremost:


As of Friday, I won NaNo. Meaning I officially wrote 50,000 words of my novel. But the story isn't finished. There are at least 10,000 words left to go, possibly more. 
I just ordered my winner's T-shirt, and I am so proud of myself! When I began on November 1st I didn't really know what I was getting myself into or how much fun I'd have along the way. 
Appropriately, I am thankful that I did NaNo this year.

On to Thanksgiving. I was in Los Osos with my family for almost 5 full days and I got a good amount packed into those days. 

On Wednesday I:
  • -Cooked two apple pies and three pumpkin pies
  • -Washed and prepped a 24.4 lb turkey (affectionately named Nigel; two years ago I named the turkey Carl)
  • -Pulled out Nigel's neck and bag o' gizzards (sick.)
  • -Slicked onions and celery for the stuffing
  • -When cracking eggs, learned that the umbilical cord is inside the egg. How gross is that?
  • Sauteed shrimp
  • Met my friend Jacey for a few hours in downtown San Luis and met a man named Wally. Then, at a restaurant, met five guys who tried to steal our chicken strips and onion rings. One of them, Jed, was shocked that we wouldn't share, and I was very stern with him about wanting to eat all of the chicken because I was so hungry. "You seem so genuine. Can't we be friends? Let's go to lunch." He was persistent, but to no avail.
On Thursday I:

  • Basted the turkey
  • Peeled and sliced 30 carrots
  • Peeled and cut 28 potatoes
  • Ironed a tablecloth
  • Went to Vons
  • Cooked Nigel (he was amazing)
  • Arranged two huge fruit platters
  • Served undercooked apple pies (convection ovens are different than regular ovens ... apparently.)
  • Did dishes
  • Thoroughly enjoyed my time with my entire family: (parents, aunt, two brothers, two sisters, one sister-in-law, one brother-in-law, 98 year old great uncle, grandma, brother's two roommates). We had a competition after we ate in which each person had to come up with either a Thanksgivinging themed poem, short tale, or trivia question, and there was a winner in each category. My family is very clever and funny, and hanging out with them is always an enjoyable experience!
On Friday I:

  • Slept in until noon
  • Got up for a few minutes, went back to bed and slept until 2
  • Visited my good friends the Phillips. Haven't seen them in months and it was wonderful to catch up with this fantastic family!!
  • Ate dinner with my parents, younger sister, older brother and his wife, and then played an exciting game of Catch Phrase
  • Won NaNoWriMo
On Saturday I:
  • Went for a walk down to the bay with my dad just like we used to when I was younger. We had coffee and breakfast at a quaint little coffee shop by the bay and it was a gorgeous day (68 degrees at 10am) and the water and sky were clear and beautiful.
  • Saw the Hugos, a missionary family to South Africa. My parents' church is their sending church, and they have adopted two children, a boy and a girl who are 12 and 10 respectively. Years ago they asked me to be the girl's godsister, and I feel blessed to have that privilege. This family is so amazing and a beautiful testimony of how wonderful God is
  • Put Christmas lights up on the outside of our house with my dad. Again, another thing we used to do together when I was younger
  • Picked up my grandma and great uncle and drove them from San Luis to Los Osos to see our remodeled house
  • Ate dinner with my parents
  • Saw Breaking Dawn with my aunt
Sunday was church, lunch with church friends, and then I packed and headed back down here. It was a perfect Thanksgiving weekend, with much to be thankful for and many reminders of just how blessed my life has been. Thank you God, for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment