Saturday, October 9, 2010

I'll never let go, Jack!

     Titanic is on right now. I wasn't allowed to watch this movie when it came out in '97; granted, I was only 9 years old at the time, but still. I knew My Heart Will Go On by Celine, but I had no idea what part of the movie it was from. I knew the phrase, "I'm king of the world!" but I didn't know that Jack said it when he was with his friend; I thought it was when he was with Rose. The fact that it was with Fabrizio makes it way less romantic. Anyway, I'd always heard how great this movie was, and kind of just went along with it blindly. Then I watched it. And watched it again, and again, and again.
     Why is it that some of the greatest stories of all time revolve around a romantic relationship rather than the historical events? Sure, the Titanic sank, but the real tragedy seems to be that Jack and Rose will never be together until (SPOILER ALERT!) the very end when she dies (yes, she dies, it's not a dream) and goes back to the Titanic and walks up the stairway and he stretches out his hand to her and they embrace and share a sweet sweet kiss that they've waited something like 80 years for. Anyway, after watching it I just felt like it was more about two lovers than about hundreds of people dying in the frigid Atlantic. But then again, maybe that's just me (but I know it isn't because Karin feels the exact same way).
     Life is about love. It just is. In Eat, Pray, Love Liz Gilbert talks about refugees from a third-world country going to a refugee camp, and instead of talking about the tragedies they witnessed, they spoke of someone they met with whom they felt a romantic connection but now they don't know if they'll ever see that person again and what are they going to do, just live the rest of their lives in freedom but all the while knowing that his/her soulmate is out in the world probably with someone else and HOW IN THE WORLD WILL I GO ON?? Barf.
     Yes, life is about love. Loving the Creator. Loving the world. Loving the Word. But so often it's self-focused. People are focused on not having anyone to love THEM instead of spreading the love to the world. I think there should be more of an emphasis upon paying it forward. But, there's not. Of course. And this is all very hypocritical of me, but everyone has room for improvement, it just has to be recognized. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, and I would like to get out of it.

**P.S. When Rose says, "I'll never let go, Jack!" as she lets him sink beneath the freezing surface of the Atlantic ocean, she isn't being a lying wench. She didn't promise him she'd never let go of him physically, she was promising him that she'd never let go of the promise she made to him to live a long life, have babies, and die an old woman warm in her bed. You know, just FYI.

No comments:

Post a Comment