Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Controversy?

     During the last hour and a half of work, a few people began a conversation about religion. It wasn't exactly heated, but there wasn't really room for anyone else to get a word in. It was the kind of conversation where a couple of people were just ranting about how stupid organized religion is and how all people are good and that's all that mattered. I was extremely uncomfortable. Talks about religion in the workplace have always made me uncomfortable. I want to be the kind of person who can engage in a conversation like that and simply share my viewpoint without feeling a martyr complex, but I'm just not that way. First of all, I'm really passive aggressive, so I tend to keep my feelings of anger or disappointment or frustration on the inside; second, I've found that talking about religious views at work just makes things awkward. People at work know where I went to college, they know my family background, they know the way I choose to live my life. Though I disagree with most things these women were saying, I felt it was best to keep my views to myself. Was this the right thing to do? I have no idea. Should I have spoken up? Probably. But how do you do that without getting attacked mercilessly?

     The conversation then turned to politics. AREYOUSERIOUS???? The two topics I dread SO MUCH.

     But here, on my online diary, I can voice my opinions.
     I believe:

     1) God answers prayer. AND, I believe that everyone is called to pray. I believe that God wants us to be in constant communication with Him, even though we're only human. Yes, God has a lot of things to worry about, but one of the beauties about being God is that His mind isn't limited to only thinking about one thing at a time. So I can pray about my money issues. I can pray about my love life (or serious lack thereof). I can pray for the homeless man on the street, with all his earthly possessions in his shopping cart. I can pray for poverty. For the war. For peace. For sleep.

     2) I believe that gay marriage is wrong. I believe that homosexuality exists because there is sin in the world, and I believe people can choose to be gay or straight. And I'm not sorry I believe that.

     3) I believe sex before marriage is wrong. That's all I'm saying about that issue, because it hits way too close to home for me to go into more detail right now.

     4) I believe God is love. I believe that, as a Christian, my attitude toward other people should be loving. I believe that I should change my attitude, because I am completely not loving. I am cynical, and pessimistic, and I get angry way too easily.

     So, there you go. Some of my basic beliefs. And please, if you have any advice on how to live a loving life, or how to engage in religious/political conversations at work, please share. INEEDYOURHELP!

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, how awkward!!! I'm sorry you had to experience that!

    As for loving... I pray a lot about being loving towards people I have a hard time loving (ie co-workers, acquaintances who drive me nuts, the people at bible study who dominate the entire group, etc). I think that as humans we are pretty selfish, and the only way to show Christ's love is to ask him for help to be patient and kind.

    Also, I don't know how to speak up in the work place. I told someone I'd pray for them recently and then quickly said "I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say that here." Very touchy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree on how difficult it is to bring up religious viewpoints in a secular setting. Too often, I find myself keeping quiet when I should have stood up and defended my faith. I agree 100% on your opinions. They are all Bible-based and true!

    ReplyDelete